Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I can't remember yesterday, I just remember doing what they told me

Queensÿrche - I Remember Now

Year Acquired: 1988 or '89
Location: Northway Mall t-shirt kiosk, source of many metal t-shirts.

 
front

Sometime last year I realized I have a load of t-shirts. For more than half my life I've collected comic books, hockey cards, records/tapes/cds but I've never consciously thought of myself as a t-shirt collector. They just accumulated since I never part with things. Last year, once I had all my summer clothes unpacked, I decided to see how long I could go before repeating a t-shirt. I need more arbitrary rules for my life. Obviously, I washed and re-wore undershirts and gym shorts, but for my real t-shirts, I think it took me until October to repeat. I've decided that Memorial Day will mark when I pull out all my t-shirts and try my best not to re-wear anything until I wear all my shirts at least once. And thanks to recommendations from Penny and Jesse, the world is stuck with this blog where I will document the process.

back

To start this process (i.e. ordeal for friends and family) I had to begin with a memorable shirt. Without exhaustive research I think this is the oldest shirt that I still wear. I do have a few relics tucked away in the attic that aren't in rotation, but this is the oldest that is regularly worn and definitely a favorite. I have many of the "black concert t-shirt" variety but this was my first. At the time of it's purchase in the late '80s, Queensÿrche was my favorite band. "Operation:Mindcrime" was just released and it was in constant rotation. My second or third favorite band was Metallica so when I saw that Queensÿrche was opening for Metallica on the "..And Justice for All" tour at the Civic Arena I asked my parents if I could go to my first concert. Not surprisingly, as a naive 8th grader I was denied. Oddly enough, less than a year later my parents allowed me to go to my first concert at the legendary Pittsburgh punk & metal dive The Electric Banana. Which I guess since it was smaller seemed safer than the Civic Arena?!?

Back to the shirt. As a consolation prize I couldn't go see Queensÿrche but I was allowed to get a shirt from the mall shortly after the concert. I didn't see the show, but I at least have the t-shirt...and still wear it 20 plus years later.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Who did you see at the Electric Banana?

mhurley75 said...

1990, Queensryche with Suicidal Tendencies at Civic Arena was my first concert. They were touring in support their Empire album but ended up playing the entire Operation Mindcrime rock opera at show, complete with two projection screens, laser show, and lots of wireless mics (including the headset variety), it was truly epic.

Jason A said...

@Chris-the headliner was Crimson Glory. They wore their masks. Totally awesome. Two local bands opened, NME (excellent - later became This Tortured Soul) and the very first live band was Diamond Haze.

@Mike. I was at that show too! I think there was a basketball hoop for "Best I Can" during the Empire set. The Operation:Mindcrime part was amazing. I'm still disappointed that Suicidal Tendencies didn't play "Give It Revolution."

Liz said...

I'm astounded that people are reading this blog. I can't decide if it means my husband is a really awesome guy or his friends are hard-up for entertainment! :) I love you, Jay. I love your sweet collector soul.