Thursday, June 13, 2013

T-Shirts June 3 - June 8

June 3: Sidney Crosby
Year Acquired: 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
 back
An excellent Christmas gift from Tim and family. It may be sacrilegious to say, but aesthetically I prefer the blue alternate uniforms of the Penguins. Thanks to a recent trivia question (hi Penny) I know Pittsburgh is the only city to have all their major sports teams use the same color scheme so I can understand the reliance black & gold. But I'd rather see the blue unis.

front
Unfortunately, wearing this didn't bring them any luck.

June 6: Anthrax Judge Dredd
Year Acquired: 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
front

Concerts used to be a major source of t-shirts, but I'm old and hardly ever go to shows. I couldn't pass up the thrash triple-bill of Death Angel, Testament and Anthrax. Anthrax is a band that I've loved for years, but for some reason it took until 2011 for me to see them live. The comic book/metal crossover with Judge Dredd and a favorite band made this a "must buy." A great shirt, but not nearly as cool as old one of Tim's that he destroyed during a rod hockey game.


back

In addition to Judge Dredd, there were a bunch of other comics I started reading due to being mentioned in the liner notes of Among the Living. I started reading the John Byrne run of Fantastic Four, Boris the Bear, and some others thanks to Anthrax.

June 7: James Neal
Year Acquired: 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
front
Because I'm a superstitious hockey fan I wore this under my dress shirt at work and while watching the Penguins lose their final game of the season. I was also wearing it during their last win of the season. I think I'll be taking a break from the Penguins gear for a bit.
back

June 8: mnftiu
Year Acquired: 2002 or 2003
Location: Pittsburgh or Syracuse

I have a very similar shirt that will also appear. I'm a fan of David Rees's and his comic like "My New Filing Technique is Unstoppable" and "Get Your War On." Since the shirts are so similar I can't remember which shirt was a gift from which friend. The shirts often result in comments from strangers so if you're looking for a conversation starter you can borrow one of these shirts.

June 8: Wet Leather Congress
Year Acquired: 1996
Location: CMU
Two shirts in one day since this one was used for grass cutting.
front 
Much like the 2012-13 Penguins, Wet Leather Congress was a team built to win the CMU intramural floor hockey championship but that was not to be. I only wore the shirt once or twice in a game-action thanks to a torn ACL when playing for a team made up a most of WLC as well. Now the shirt shows up to yardwork and home improvement projects.
 back

No comments: